National Adoption Directory

Find an Adoption Agency

Find an Adoption Attorney

Full Directory ►

Join Adoption Groups!

Click the arrows to expand each group category below

Family Building Options

Starting Out in Adoption

Waiting to Adopt

U.S. Newborn Adoption

U.S. Foster Adoption

International Adoption

My Family

My Adoption Interests

My Child's Age/Stage

My Location

The Adoption Triad

Adoptive Families Magazine

Affording Adoption

Adoption of my wife child(truly my baby girl) in louisiana

Me and my wife got together when our daughter was 6 months old. Not biological, but she is ny daughter. No father on the birth certificate and no contact. Im active duty and dont make much, and weve been trying to get enough money scratched up for full adoption. Our daughter is now 3 and the father just started acting like he wants to be there. I know its selfish, but i am the only father she has. How much will it cost and any rules, laws, regs that i should know about?


Im sorry. I am sure im in the wrong place. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Posted by gdunlap on Jul 01, 2015 at 12:25am

Im sorry im really anxious. I am currently deployed to Guam. This has arose in the past 15 hrs. Please help.

Posted by gdunlap on Jul 01, 2015 at 1:02am

Hi there, you will have to get the biological father to relinquish or “terminate” his “parental rights”. I think you will need a lawyer, an adoption lawyer practices different kinds of family law. Try to find one that has experience in adoption. They can draw up the papers for the bio dad to terminate his rights. Then I think you still have to go through the normal adoption process which means there will be a home study… this involves background checks on you, a social worker interviewing you, etc. I think this would be called identified adoption, meaning the mother has identified you as someone she wants to adopt her child. I hope others respond. But I think 1st step is find an adoption lawyer and get bio dads parental rights terminated. I am sorry but if he will not give up his rights I am not sure there is much you can do no matter how great a dad you are. You may be able to become a guardian or have some kind of custody which would at least allow you to make medical decisions for the child, etc. I really don’t know. I wish you luck.

Posted by babydreams on Jul 01, 2015 at 2:05am

There may be issues re if he has been visiting and/or paid child support. I am not sure. I agree you need an experienced attorney

Posted by Regina on Jul 01, 2015 at 2:19am

You may want to try contacting the JAG to see if the office can offer you any advice/assistance. Active duty service members are eligible for legal assistance for some family law matters.  I don’t know if the office would be able to handle the adoption but if not, the office may be able to refer you to an attorney who has experience dealing with military families in this situation.  The office may also be able to inform you of any financial assistance available regarding adoption. Best of luck to you and thank you for your service!!!

Posted by At Last on Jul 01, 2015 at 4:17am

Wondering if the bio father was aware she was born? Not sure if you are married to the girls mom or not? You don’t have to answer but those might matter. If problems finding a lawyer, you might contact one thru American Academy of Adoption Lawyers.It depends on the state the mom and dad live in what the laws are.

Other possibility is maybe the bio father would be agreeable to signing off rights if he has some contact…pictures, news and if it is safe, some visits with her mom and you there too while she is young? He may not want to raise the child himself, but might still want some contact. It is not necessarily a bad thing, though I am sure it is frightening now. Just be sure you and her mom do not promise anything that you are not sure you can do.

Try not to panic, because she is still with the mom, and I doubt any judge is likely to remove her from the mom when her bio father has only made contact now.(And this may not be what he wants at all either.) If you have been her father in practice,she will know you as her father.It is not a bad thing to have more people care about a child.I hope it works out for the best for you all.

Posted by Happy Camper on Jul 01, 2015 at 8:06am

Step-parent adoption is completely different from private adoption; if you are married to child’s mom, this is a step-parent adoption.  The biological father will still have to sign termination of parental rights (TPR), or have his rights terminated by the court; obviously, the process is much easier if he agrees to TPR.  I have a friend who adopted his stepdaughter in our state (Florida), very similar story, child had no contact with bio dad, once bio dad signed TPR they were able to file papers in court and get a reduced court fee based on his income.

You need to find out the laws in Louisiana, every state is different, and much of Louisiana’s state laws are based on Napoleonic law (French, not English, like the rest of the country).  If there is no father listed on the birth certificate, that may change things, but if this man is the biological father it is better for you and your daughter to discuss this with him and settle it amicably.  I would definitely speak with an attorney if you can.

Posted by jszmom on Jul 01, 2015 at 1:16pm

Reply to this thread

You must be logged in to reply. To login, click here. Not a member? Join AdoptiveFamiliesCircle today. It's free and easy!


Find an Adoption Agency

Find an Adoption Attorney or Agency

Search the full directory ►