Sign In to Add a Forum Post

NOTE: These forums exist for archival purposes only.
Please post any new, active discussion topics to the most appropriate corresponding adoption group

Helping Them Shine
Posted: 20 October 2009 04:52 PM   Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  30
Rank

The blog “The Reluctant Soccer Mom” recounts one child’s metamorphosis from a pale, awkward little girl to a confident, goal-scoring soccer champ. Have you found any sports, classes or other activities that have really built up confidence and skill in your adopted child?

Sharon Van Epps

http://www.sharonvanepps.com

http://www.whateverthingsaretrue.com

Posted: 02 November 2009 10:56 PM   Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  8
Rank

I think the best way to do this is to pay attention to what your child is interested in, what they are excited about, what they ask questions about, then find something to foster that.  If the child likes art, sign them up for an art class, or provide them art supplies at home to let them explore on their own.

Posted: 13 January 2011 12:34 AM   Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  1
Rank

My daughter has had some behavior issues that I was concerned might be related to an attachment disorder. We moved last summer (2010) to Wyoming and things got worse. We started trying to get her involved in LOTS of activities ranging from soccer, swimming, gymnastics and karate. She took to karate so well! She passed her yellow belt test in Dec and is already talking about trying for her blue belt this summer. The Karate School motto is something they have to memorize before they can move up and it talks about being in control of your body, mind and temper and she really takes it to heart. I LOVE to watch her and her “sense” says she’s got the best round house kick in the class of 20 kids. She is so confident and controlled in her behavior now, it’s fantastic!

Posted: 09 March 2011 09:12 PM   Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  1
Rank

My son is working eagerly to earn his first Tai Kwon Do belt stripe, he is 12 years old. The kid has to appreciate that a lot of practice, sweat and hard work goes into that kind of achievement and for me he shines in this aspect of his life. I am very happy to see him striving hard to achieve his interest. This way he is too far to become one of troubled teens someday.