Sign In to Add a Forum Post

NOTE: These forums exist for archival purposes only.
Please post any new, active discussion topics to the most appropriate corresponding adoption group

Pasión por Colombia/Colombia is Passion
Posted: 17 October 2009 01:30 AM   Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  3
Rank

Hi everyone!!!

I’m an adoptive mom of a beautifull girl adopted from Colombia at 19mo (Now she is almost 4 and a half)
I’d like to chat about our experiences raising kids adopted from Colombia and fighting against common stereotypes.
Please share your joys, expectations, fears, concerns… anything you want and feel could help each other.

Posted: 05 April 2011 05:26 PM   Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  1
Rank

Hi - we are considering adopting age 3-6 from Colombia - what can you share about your experiences as they have grown as far as bonding, behaviour, etc.. Please be honest - I know it’s harder than some say and each child is different so we need to be prepared. Thank you!
Stacey

Posted: 06 April 2011 09:28 PM   Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  3
Rank

Well, Natalia is almost 6 now (May 28) and we’ve had a very smooth adaptation process. We prepared a lot to adopt a toddler and had some fears because her file said that she was very attached to her foster mom (she lived with her for seven months prior referal). At the very beggining I felt unconfortable because our kid was very sociable (hugged even people she didn’t know) and I suspected she might have attachment problems, but time proved I was wrong. We followed up every recommendation made by social workers and psicological teams in Colombia (including extending bottle feeding after adoption, keeping mostly intact her daily routine, not hanging out with extended family and friends for six months, etc) . For us it has been easy because both of us (husband and myself) are latinos, already had a kid in the family (bio-son who is only 26 mo appart from his sister)  and Spanish is our first language. Some friends of mine that have also adopted from Colombia, including billingual families, had told me that they have experienced some problems with English acquisition and proficiency, particularly when the kids are developing writting and reading skills. We have been blessed with a very loving intelligent girl. Ask whatever you want to know.

Posted: 28 March 2013 11:19 AM   Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  1
Rank

Hello! Are you both still members of this forum? I would love to hear more about your adoptions. My husband and I are waiting for a sibling group in Colombia! Thank you!

‹‹ Introductions! :)      Introduce Yourself! ››