Sign In to Add a Forum Post

NOTE: These forums exist for archival purposes only.
Please post any new, active discussion topics to the most appropriate corresponding adoption group

Medical Costs for Special Needs Kids
Posted: 13 October 2009 09:21 PM   Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  1
Rank

I have a question.  My husband and I are waiting to adopt a minor special needs baby girl from India.  I am curious as to how health insurance regards adoptive children.  Once you adopt your child, is it essentially like giving birth to them in the insurance companies eyes?  For example:  if our new girl has a cleft lip/palate, will our health insurance company add her to our plan and cover her essential medical needs?  Even if she had a pre-existing medical condition before we adopted her?  Looking for wisdom from other parents who have gone through similar situations…

Posted: 16 October 2009 09:38 AM   Ignore ]  
Rank

Our son was 13 months old when we brought him home from Russia.  We had him assessed by Early Intervention which determined that he needed speech, developmental, behavioral and occupational therapies.  Early Intervention billed our insurance company which picked up most of the costs except for developmental therapy.  What wasn’t covered by insurance, was picked up by the monthly flat fee that EI charged us.  That being said, I would guess that insurance plans differ.  We are very lucky; my husband’s company has excellent insurance. 

To directly answer your question, yes, our insurance company treated our son as if we had just given birth.

One word of warning, I would notify the insurance company before you travel to India.  My husband’s insurance required us to provide certain documentation within a certain amount of time upon arriving home so that we could immediately put our son on the policy.  You don’t want to blow that deadline….it is usually short.

Posted: 10 November 2009 07:13 AM   Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  3
Rank

Hi!  Both of our children that we have adopted have been special needs.  Both times our insurance treated the situation as though I had given birth…we had no problems with signing either of our children up or with insurance paying for any of the medical treatment.

Posted: 29 February 2012 04:15 AM   Ignore ]  
Rank

You can call your insurance, it depends on their company policy. Me and my partner adopted this beautiful little baby girl and as she grew up we saw how hyperactive she is and so we went to the doctor to get her checked. After examining her, she was diagnosed with moderate adhd and the insurance company was good enough to pay for her therapy.