Sign In to Add a Forum Post

NOTE: These forums exist for archival purposes only.
Please post any new, active discussion topics to the most appropriate corresponding adoption group

2 of 2
Disability?
Posted: 09 March 2010 07:56 PM   Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  1
Rank

Hi!

I’m so happy I found all of your posts.  I have been searching for other people in the same boat as me for a while. 

I have a history of depression and have been on antidepressants for over five years.  I have considered trying to get off antidepressants to make the adoption process smoother, but don’t know if it is a realistic option for me.  They really help me.  I have never been institutionalized and have always been able to support myself.  I am actually in the process of becoming a psychiatric nurse, a second career for me, in part because of my experiences with depression.  There is such a stigma surrounding mental illness that I don’t tell people about it normally so the idea of putting it on paper for the adoption process is daunting to say the least!

I have been considering adoption for the past five years.  As a single woman, I have been determined to get my career path straight before taking the plunge mainly for financial reasons.  Being single, with a history of depression/ taking antidepressants and admittedly having had a very dysfunctional relationship with my late father, I do wonder if I will be successful in adopting.  I want to try though, no matter what.  I cannot think of a more meaningful or wonderful thing to do with my life.

I have also found Dawn Davenport’s website wwwcreatingafamily.org ,  http://www.theadoptionguide.com  and rainbow kids really informative.

Posted: 05 August 2010 01:22 PM   Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  1
Rank

I have read this post. It’s really awesome. I have noted some point which make this post excellent. I hope you will keep continue to write other informative and interesting post. Thank you.

Posted: 18 December 2010 10:42 AM   Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  2
Rank

most people who had that problem would lead to that, and i found nothing wrong with adopting it will help children having new family who is abandonsmilesmilesmile

2 of 2