Sign In to Add a Forum Post

NOTE: These forums exist for archival purposes only.
Please post any new, active discussion topics to the most appropriate corresponding adoption group

1 of 3
The Pregnancy Analogy
Posted: 05 October 2009 05:52 PM   Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  112
RankRank

Is it fair to draw parallels between the adoption process and a typical pregnancy? Would you describe your adoption journey in these terms? Or would you use a different analogy?

Posted: 05 October 2009 06:27 PM   Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  16
Rank

Honestly, speaking as an adoptee (and a mother), I find the analogy between pregnancy and adoption to be disconcerting.  I’ve heard some APs say, “I’ve got Paper Pregnancy sickness” as opposed to morning sickness, and it’s just not the same thing. 

Just my opinion though…

Posted: 05 October 2009 10:31 PM   Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  27
Rank

Well, in my opinion, doing a few years’ of paperwork isn’t the same as literally carrying a fetus/infant inside one’s womb for 9 months.

Not saying that the adoption process is not difficult - just that it isn’t the same.

黃 美玲

Transracial Chinese adoptee, in contact with her original family for 3 years
~ reunited overseas for 3 months with a culture/language barrier

Posted: 05 October 2009 10:38 PM   Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  2
Rank

Well ... I used the term “paper pregnant” when our dossier was sent to China and we were waiting.  I still considered myself an “expectant mother”, just as I did when I was physically pregnant.  Never tried to claim morning sickness from the paperwork, though!

Posted: 05 October 2009 10:49 PM   Ignore ]  
Rank

I read on an AP’s blog once that she has actually considered parking in the “Expectant Mothers” space at the store.  I just don’t see how adopting and being pregnant are the same thing.

Posted: 06 October 2009 04:28 AM   Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  43
Rank

LOL I hope she didn’t park there smile No it’s not the same physically (obviously!) but I guess the similarity is you are expecting and preparing as you would if you were pregnant. Your researching car seats, painting the nursery, looking for a pediatrician, etc. I think some people say it to cheer themselves up since they have been hoping to be “expecting” for so long. I don’t think I would use the analogy….......adopting is it’s own unique journey.

Posted: 06 October 2009 04:47 AM   Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  2
Rank

Well, there are no physical similarities ... but of course whether you’re adopting or physically pregnant, you’re expecting a child.  However, that wouldn’t give me license to park in the “expectant mothers” spaces!  I *loved* those when I was pregnant, because towards the end I was just too exhausted to walk across the whole parking lot!  It would take a lot of nerve to park in those spaces if you’re not actually pregnant.  Yes, when I was adopting, I was still an expectant mother, as I was expecting a child.  But we all know those spaces are there for those who are experiencing the exhaustion, swollen ankles, sore back, etc. of a pregnant woman.  So I hope that blogger was just kidding!

Posted: 06 October 2009 01:35 PM   Ignore ]  
Rank

She did say that she didn’t end up parking there, but that she had seriously considered it..yikes!  O.o

1 of 3