Sign In to Add a Forum Post

NOTE: These forums exist for archival purposes only.
Please post any new, active discussion topics to the most appropriate corresponding adoption group

Internet and your child’s story
Posted: 14 December 2010 08:39 PM   Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  1
Rank

I am interested in hearing your thoughts on sharing your child’s story on the internet via blogs, facebook, etc.

When you read stories or status updates about adoptive children before they come home, before finalization, etc.

Do you think it is okay? 
Do you cringe?
Do you encourage it?
Do you discourage it?

Posted: 14 December 2010 09:23 PM   Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  5
Rank

Good question.  My general reaction to this is its ok.  Most expecting adoptive parents know that things can go great and things can go wrong, so they post knowing anything can happen.  Mostly posting is a means to express excitement, fears, anticipation and anxiety.  In some circumstances you may not have anyone to talk with about these feelings because they won’t relate.  Through the Internet you can find people who can through adoption forums, blogging and facebook.  My only concerns are to keep details like names and places private.  This would be true after a child places as well.

Posted: 14 December 2010 10:16 PM   Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  28
Rank

I am careful to differentiate between what is My Story and what is My Children’s Story. I do not share things that should be my children’s to keep private or share with others when they are old enough to do so. I am also careful to not over-share my children’s Birth Family Story, because that is also the Birth Family’s to share or keep private as they wish.

I decided to do this after reading an interview with Christopher Robin Milne. He eventually grew to hate the Winnie-the-Pooh stories and had a very strained relationship with his father. For the remainder of his life, he avoided anything to do with the Winnie-the-Pooh stories and cringed when people recognized him as having been the boy upon whom the stories were modeled.

We do have a family blog that we share with family and friends, including our children’s birth family. We frequently post photos and little stories, but we are also careful to keep the blog somewhat private and do not post anything our children would eventually find embarrassing.