Sign In to Add a Forum Post

NOTE: These forums exist for archival purposes only.
Please post any new, active discussion topics to the most appropriate corresponding adoption group

male infertility
Posted: 09 December 2010 01:26 AM   Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  10
Rank

I’ve seen several posts on this site dealing with male infertility and could not decide whether to respond to them or start my own.  I was wondering if anyone else’s husband specifically had kleinfelters.  My husband was diagnosed with this when we were going through the infertility process.

Posted: 09 December 2010 03:58 PM   Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  6
Rank

To tell you the truth, my husband was never diagnosed with anything other than not producing sperm. Once we found that out, we immediately moved on to adoption. We never investigated further, so I don’t know what it is you are going through with the shots.
I’m sorry that this is such a hard thing for you. Are the benefits of the shots outweighing the suffering you are going through in giving them to him weekly and dealing with his mood swings? If not, then you should seriously consider speaking with him and your doctor about NOT doing them any more. If it would make life easier on you and him….going through the adoption and infertility process is enough as it is without added frustrations.

Posted: 09 December 2010 07:37 PM   Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  10
Rank

Once my husband’s test results came back that he had zero sperm our fertility doctor immediately scheduled him for genetics testing.  I think at that point it became more of an issue of his health than fertility.  Then doctor never got into details about how the testosterone benefits him.  He just said it was necessary for his bones and muscles and heart.  Sometimes I don’t think they even know everything hormones do.

Posted: 11 December 2010 02:38 AM   Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  16
Rank

My husband is going through this right now.  We found out 2 years ago that he is sterile.  He recently had a full physical and his FSH levels were very high.  We figured “of course they are, he’s sterile”.  But the doctor told him that this could cause all sorts of other problems.  Well my husband just had an appt with an endocrinologist who has 1 more test to run, but she told him just what you said - unless this final test comes back with unexpected result, he’ll need to be on testosterone for the rest of his life.  If not, side effects include bone density loss that is very serious (and at a young age), decreased sex drive and energy, and some other side effects.  We still have to find out more.  He hasn’t used the illness name that the first post mentioned but now I’ll be sure to have him ask the endo about this specifically. 

Good news, though.  The endo told him that there are alternatives to testosterone shots.  One is a patch that you wear 24-7.  The other is a gel that you apply to your skin.  You have to make sure that no one touches it until it’s dry (partner, kids), but once it dries you dress and start your day as normal.  So for those of you who dread these shots, see if these other options are available to you.  Good luck, and I’ll be in touch when we know more.  It’s great to know that some other people out there are going through what sounds like the same thing!  Hugs.

Posted: 11 December 2010 02:39 AM   Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  16
Rank

Also, a new group was just added to this site - “Infertility Support Group”.  I’ll bet that if we re-posted this topic on that page we’d get even more responses!