Sign In to Add a Forum Post

NOTE: These forums exist for archival purposes only.
Please post any new, active discussion topics to the most appropriate corresponding adoption group

Is there an area for potential birth parents?
Posted: 19 September 2010 08:42 AM   Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  2
Rank

I’m sorry if I’m posting in the wrong area but someone mentioned this website to me and I’m just wondering if there’s an area for potential birth parents to connect with other birth parents who have been through the whole experience? I’m trying to understand the logistics from the birth mom side but it appears this is only for adoptive parents… correct? Am I just missing the obvious? Pregnancy brain dooming me again? LOL If someone could point me in the right direction I’d appreciate it. Thanks

Posted: 19 September 2010 07:15 PM   Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  28
Rank

Hi there! Quick introduction. I’m an adoptive parent in an open adoption and my family is also a birth family (via my brother) in a closed adoption.

I haven’t noticed birth/first parents being very active on this forum, although there are a few and one of them might point you in a good direction. You might want to check out http://openadoptionsupport.com. That is an active group of birth/first parents, adult adoptees and adoptive parents who are all in support of open adoptions. Posting your question there would likely result in good information and support for whatever decision you make regarding your baby. I’m certain that some of the experienced birth/first parents would also be willing to e-mail you off forum if you needed more in-depth info and just wanted to discuss it privately with someone whose been there. They would also be able to recommend a birth/first parent only forum if that is what you would like.

Good luck making this decision for you and your baby. My thoughts are with you in this difficult time.

Posted: 19 September 2010 09:59 PM   Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  2
Rank

Thank you Global Librarian, I’ll check that site out! As for this site is it ok to continue to ask questions even though all the forums seem to be geared toward adoptive families? I just don’t want to step on anyone’s toes smile Thanks

Posted: 19 September 2010 10:54 PM   Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  43
Rank

Hi MarchBaby2011,
There is a “group” on this site called “For Birth Parents”. It’s probably most easily accessed on the home page, on the left where it says Find Groups, and then has a list below. I looked for you and didn’t see a forum for birth parents. (This site has “groups” and “forums” which is a little confusing at 1st.)
I am a prospective adoptive parent and I would totally welcome your questions etc here. In fact the reason I know about the For Birth Parents group is I looked for it so I could understand all sides of the issues. As Global Librarian said, it is not a very active group but I hope you stay to post there and anywhere else on the site!
Welcome and best of luck with your journey,
Babydreams

Posted: 20 September 2010 11:12 AM   Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  28
Rank

Certainly you can continue to ask questions and you are more than welcome on this site! Although this site is primarily adoptive parents, the term “Adoptive Families” is inclusive of all members of the Adoption Triad.

Posted: 20 September 2010 05:36 PM   Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  47
Rank

Currently there is not a specific area for women like you in this community.  But you certainly have caught the attention of AFC and we will work to provide a forum/group for potential birth parents.  The name of the site is Adoptive Families Circle - and birth parents certainly help create this circle!  I will let you know when this is up, which should be soon.

As mentioned previously, there is a group titled “For Birth Parents” (http://www.adoptivefamiliescircle.com/groups/group/For_Birth_Parents/).  Although it is not active, if you join and post a discussion all the members will be notified of your message.  Please consider doing as talking to those who have already been through the adoption process may be great help to you.

Continue to be part of our AFC community and we will assist in any way we can.

Thanks,
Danielle Pennel
AFC Community Moderator