Sign In to Add a Forum Post

NOTE: These forums exist for archival purposes only.
Please post any new, active discussion topics to the most appropriate corresponding adoption group

Adopted children sharing a room with biological children
Posted: 15 September 2010 10:17 PM   Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  1
Rank

We are interested in expanding our family but we only live in a 2 bedroom house right now.  Ideally we would like to adopt a boy that is near the same age as my son (he’ll be 8 in October).  Does anyone know if there are any regulations about each child having their own room?  The room that he is in now would be large enough for both of them with the use of bunk beds. 

Thank you for any assistance.

Posted: 18 September 2010 07:21 AM   Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  28
Rank

It will depend upon the laws of the state in which you live. However, my family was a foster family and the foster children shared bedrooms with the rest of us. The law in our state was that they must have their own bed. Not their own bedroom. Good luck!

Posted: 23 September 2010 09:17 PM   Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  112
RankRank

From what I know you just must provide space for a new child - not necessarily an entire room.  I have one friend who easily passed her home study with a one-bedroom apartment.  They simply explained that the crib was to be placed next to their bed and it wasn’t an issue. 

The homestudy can make anyone nervous.  Here’s a great Adoptive Families article:  It’s Homestudy Day and I’m Not Perfect Yet.

Danielle
AFC Community Moderator

Posted: 08 March 2011 03:54 AM   Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  3
Rank

Although there may not be regulations against it, most agencies should highly caution you when putting an older adopted child in with another child…at least for a while.  Depending on your adopted child’s history, it may not be a desireable situation to have him with your biological child.  For instance, an institutionalized child may exhibit inappropriate behaviors that were never regulated in his orphanage such as mutual masturbation.  When children don’t get enough attention, they will often turn to these behaviors to feel loved…and it feels good.  If your child came from an abusive household, he may be abusive to your bio child as well. 
If you do proceed, I would advise you to be aware of all the possibilities and prepare your bio child for what to do if your new son exhibits inappropriate behaviors behind closed doors.  You may also have to lay some ground rules about when (if ever) the door can be closed, what is expected during “sleep” hours etc.  Do not assume your adopted child knows what these seemingly basic acceptable behaviors are.

Posted: 28 December 2011 03:42 PM   Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  1
Rank

My kids sharing room 9 years i think and we having no problems with it. I love bouth same and they love each other.

darbo paieska vilniuje