Sign In to Add a Forum Post

NOTE: These forums exist for archival purposes only.
Please post any new, active discussion topics to the most appropriate corresponding adoption group

Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders (FASD)
Posted: 15 July 2010 11:31 PM   Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  1
Rank

FASD is not uncommon in many countries’ adoptable children. However, adoptive parents are often not told of the possibility their child may have brain damage from maternal alcohol use. As it turned out, both of our children (from different places) have FASD. Parenting would have been a lot easier if we had been informed about this when they were babies.

Posted: 16 July 2010 06:16 PM   Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  112
RankRank

So sorry your children have FASD as I’ve heard it is difficult to manage.  I adopted domestically and most of the pediatricians I spoke to told me to accept a potential birth mother who did any drug before one who admitted to excessive alcohol.  I was very surprised by that.  I don’t think FASD is just an issue for international adoption as I’ve seen it with people who adopted domestically too.  It’s sad.

I know my children were examined for specific facial distinctions (like a smooth philtrum and thin upper lip) - do yours not display these?  Is is not in all children who are FASD.

Good luck to you and your family!