Sign In to Add a Forum Post

NOTE: These forums exist for archival purposes only.
Please post any new, active discussion topics to the most appropriate corresponding adoption group

Family Assistance?
Posted: 05 June 2010 11:21 PM   Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  6
Rank

sean and i are new to the adoption experience and we will be attending our MAPP class in just 2 short weeks…i was curious to know what your experience was with others in the family, for example grand parents, close relatives…  Is there any kind of resources you can share on how I can educate the prospective Grand Parents, Aunts, Cousins?

thanks!

xo

Posted: 01 September 2010 12:04 AM   Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  1
Rank

Responses from family can vary drastically. I have found that it is best to share the good news with everyone around the same time, starting with those you are closest to, and who matter the most. Once you share your new journey with someone it will most likely spread quickly. Some are able to keep it quiet, some want to gossip and share their concerns with others, and some are just too excited to hold it in.
You can also make the choice of how much information you want to share with everyone. You may decide to share a little, see how it is received and then decide to share more.
We have found the greatest support in family that we didn’t expect it from. I have heard this from many adoptive families. My advice would be, don’t have high expectations of how others will respond. In the end it comes down to the fact that this is what is right for your family, and you are most likely excited and a bit anxious about this new adventure. Not to say there won’t be excitement with some family members, I hope there will be many who support you wholeheartedly!
What an amazing journey you are about to embark on, I wish you the very best! Hope this helps in answering some of your questions.

Posted: 05 September 2010 03:20 AM   Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  112
RankRank

We gave our immediate family members Patricia Johnston’s book, “Adoption is a Family Affair” and they loved it.  The book is written specifically for your family and friends.  It simply describes the adoption process, what not to ask you, proper adoption terminology and what they should expect.  It was a very valuable resource for them (and us) through our 3 adoptions.