Sign In to Add a Forum Post

NOTE: These forums exist for archival purposes only.
Please post any new, active discussion topics to the most appropriate corresponding adoption group

Need to make a decision about the American Adoption agency!
Posted: 21 May 2010 10:52 PM   Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  1
Rank

We are looking into working with the American Adoption Agency for our first adoption and we are wondering what types of experiences that others have had with them. We would really apprciate any information. Thanks so much for your time.

Posted: 22 May 2010 08:47 AM   Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  6
Rank

I can’t begin to describe the wonderful experience we had with Spence-Chapin, particularly the Special Needs division.
Spence-Chapin.org

We are definitely planning to continue our relationship with this amazing agency - they are the best, hands down and truly love the children they place.

Posted: 25 May 2010 04:54 PM   Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  1
Rank

We had an ovearall good experience with American Adoptions; although, we were truly upset about the lack of support we received post-adoption.  We adopted three children through this agency:  age 3, 2, and four months.  It is a very long story, but our 3 year old ended up returning home to live with his grandmother.  It was the most heart-wrenching experience. 
We were activated in December and received a phone call within five months from our birth mother via her attorney.  So, we didn’t have to wait very long at all.  All of the services we received before the adoption were great, but as I mentioned earlier, when we reached out to them shortly after the adoption, we received little to no assistance.

Posted: 14 October 2010 06:33 PM   Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  3
Rank

This may be too late a post but—— We used American Adoptions and couldn’t have had a better experience.  We researched many agencies including the Adoption Law Network and Heart to Heart. Our friends used the Adoption Law Network and they did not recommend them.  Two other couples we know used American Adoptions also and they had very good experiences as well.  What we especially liked about the agency was:  There was always someone available to answer our questions in a timely manner; they kept us up to date on all aspects of the process; they were fair and up front about fees and costs; they handled locating an attorney for us for the actual adoption which was out of state.  Basically, they facilitated all aspects of the adoption - from the profile page we created to be viewed by potential birth moms, to the match agreement, and on through the finalization. I know the Adoption Law Network does not do this. They are not a licensed adoption agency. I believe you have to contract with a separate agency if you go through them.  I felt very comfortable with our choice in American Adoptions.  Our agency also provides much-needed emotional and informational support for birth moms which helps facilitate a successful adoption.  We plan to use this agecny again in the future when we hope to adopt a second child