Sign In to Add a Forum Post

NOTE: These forums exist for archival purposes only.
Please post any new, active discussion topics to the most appropriate corresponding adoption group

Can You Trust Your New Mother Instincts When Your Child Is Unwell?
Posted: 21 April 2010 04:55 PM   Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  47
Rank

We all hope to adopt healthy and happy children, or if they do have health issues, we hope we can help them live as comfortable lives as possible. But what about when a newly adopted child ins’t able to communicate what is making them unwell? Jenna Nadeau discusses this issue in her new blog post “Learning to Trust My New Mother Instincts.”

Posted: 03 May 2010 01:27 AM   Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  1
Rank

Thank you for sharing this story with everyone. The process that you went through is frustrating, and you discussion means a lot to many people. Many parents don’t know that their child has a disorder for a prolonged period, and I think many ask themselves, “Should I have done things differently?”. Reading your experience was very meaningful. There have been many parents who found themselves in a similar situation, and they found a lot of beneficial information at listenlovelearn.com. Lois Heymann, a speech language pathologist, wrote a book about the importance of listening with children that have communication disorders. I hope that my addition to this post will inspire parents to continue the conversation about listening. Thank you again for your post!

Posted: 03 May 2010 03:37 AM   Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  25
Rank

Jenna, I am so sorry that you and Anna went through this terrible experience.  Watching a baby in pain is among the most difficult things a mother can experience.  And for such a long time. You have my great sympathy.  That you can share this experience—and the wisdom of trusting one’s motherly instincts - is a great gift. Thank you.  Susan