Sign In to Add a Forum Post

NOTE: These forums exist for archival purposes only.
Please post any new, active discussion topics to the most appropriate corresponding adoption group

2 of 2
Oh, You’re Adopting? Now You’ll Get Pregnant
Posted: 30 November 2010 09:08 PM   Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  2
Rank

Gosh I hate that comment. Not just because I know people do not mean what it sounds like, but because it makes dealing with my infertility that much harder. We adopted our daughter, who is seven months old now, and she is just the light of our lives. I still can’t believe how lucky we are. But somehow that feeling of inadequacy is still there, and that cliche just brings it to the surface. I really wish I didn’t feel that way, but as mentioned on another post, it’s just a biological reaction that can’t be helped. Hopefully it will fade with time.

Posted: 01 December 2010 03:57 PM   Ignore ]  
Rank

I’ve always wanted to work the words “You’re trying for a baby, now you’ll adopt.  That is what always happens” into a conversation, but instead I just think about saying it, laugh to myself, and then think about my 6 week old daughter and forget about it.  That comment will always be around.  Our pediatrician even said it to us!!  As annoying as it is, I think we all just have to grin and bear it.  wink

Posted: 10 December 2010 10:58 PM   Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  1
Rank

We adopted our precious daughter almost 2 years ago.  I still hear from one friend in particular (almost every time I see her) that I will soon become pregnant now that we have adopted, and not just pregnant, but with multiples.  It used to hurt a lot to hear her say this so adamantly.  I don’t know if it is because I have heard it so often from this one person, or that I’m enjoying my daughter so much, but it doesn’t seem to hurt as much any more even though I still long to become pregnant especially now that my daughter is almost 2.  The thing that I continually remind myself when I hear these statements is that God is in control.  He gave us our daughter through amazing circumstances, and He is in control of whether or not we have another child and how we have another child.  I’ve even started answering my friend’s comments with, “Only if that is what God has planned for us.”  I don’t know if that has made her think about her statement or not, but I don’t hear her make the “now you’ll get pregnant” statements as often.

Posted: 10 December 2010 11:52 PM   Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  28
Rank

Most of the time, I ignore it.

When I’m “in a mood,” I say “Unlikely, given that I had to have a hysterectomy.” That usually shuts them up pretty quickly!

Posted: 17 December 2010 09:39 PM   Ignore ]  
Rank

Global Librarian….ha!!!

Posted: 04 January 2011 07:11 AM   Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  4
Rank

Ohh, that one drives me nuts!

2 of 2