Sign In to Add a Forum Post

NOTE: These forums exist for archival purposes only.
Please post any new, active discussion topics to the most appropriate corresponding adoption group

Confused:  Are private adoption agencies only for newborns or older kids too?
Posted: 19 April 2010 12:49 AM   Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  3
Rank

I am brand new to the whole adoption thing and am a little confused.  My husband and I are wanting to adopt a sibling set of 2-3 children.  We have absolutely no problem adopting from foster care but we are not sure if this is our only avenue if we want “older” kids (age 1-9 yrs).  We do not want an inant but we are not sure how much we are willing to take on in the sense of medical problems from the foster care system.  We also know that some of the children in the foster care system have absoluetly nothing wrong with them other than the fact that it can be more difficult to find a home for a sibling set.  Does anyone have any information or resources?  Thanks:)

Posted: 10 March 2011 01:05 AM   Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  9
Rank

Some private agencies specialize in international, others infants and others in older children from foster care. You just have to do your research, Usually if you call one they know which agency does which and will refer.
There are no children in foster care with nothing wrong except a need to be with siblings. All kids in care are there because of neglect, abuse or abandonment. Some have more difficult histories but they all ahve a reason to be in care but that doesn’t mean they all have huge problems.
Regina Kupecky