Sign In to Add a Forum Post

NOTE: These forums exist for archival purposes only.
Please post any new, active discussion topics to the most appropriate corresponding adoption group

When Adoptive Parents Meet ...They Connect in Ways Other Can’t Understand
Posted: 12 April 2010 09:37 PM   Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  47
Rank

In her blog Beautiful Exchange: When Adoptive Parents Meet We Share More Than Words, Stacy Clark shares a positive adoption conversation. Do you often connect with strangers over adoption? Share your experiences.

Posted: 16 April 2010 03:36 PM   Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  112
RankRank

LOVE this post and I totally agree with you! 
When you adopt (or even in the process) you have entered a community where you do share a special bond.  I have had many conversations with strangers about adoption and could easily have talked for hours (like you mentioned in your post).  I always feel excited to openly discuss my kids and adoptions with someone who really “gets it.”
Another example of this community was my good friend who recently moved across the country.  She was nervous about her and her 3 kids (all adopted from Eastern Europe) not knowing anyone.  So she logged onto a message board for international adoption and asked if anyone in her new city would like to get together. Within days of moving she met up with some amazing families.  My friend was SO grateful for the adoption community - she always has support and an instant bond with them.  I loved hearing this story b/c it made me proud to be part of such an amazing community!

Posted: 21 April 2010 08:10 AM   Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  4
Rank

I love sharing our adoption story, especially with those who “get it!”  Because our daughter is a different race than we are, it’s pretty obvious that we aren’t her biological parents.  People approach me all the time and ask if she is adopted, or where she is from.  I’ve never approached anyone, because I’ve heard stories about people who don’t react very kindly to being asked.
A woman in the post office last week asked, and shared that her sister was adopted from South Korea. 
A woman at a community clothes swap saw a shirt I was selling that said “Made in Taiwan” and asked, then told me about her 4 adopted children, from China and South Korea.
I found out that 2 of my co-workers at my new job have adopted children, from India and the US.
I think you tend to notice certain groups of people more, once you have become part of that group, or want to be.  Like when my husband bought a motorcycle, I noticed motorcycles everywhere.  And like many others, when we were trying to get pregnant, I felt surrounded by pregnant women everywhere I went!