Hi, my name is Rachel. I was born in Kaliningrad, Russia. I was adopted by my American parents when I was five years old and brought to this country. My interest in adoption is based on my beginnings. This is my senior year in high school. I am doing a report on the international adoption experience.I’ve made a survey consisting of sixteen questions. Please participate in answering the following questions with which you feel comfortable. Any prompt, detailed answers would be greatly appreciated!
The information gathered will remain confidential throughout this project. The information will only be given to my supervisor, Mrs. Fisher. Your name will not be disclosed in any published and/or written material resulting from this survey.
1. What were your motivations for adopting?
2. Who or what facilitated your adoption?
3. Were you given any information about the birth parents’ medical or family backgrounds?
4. How long did the adoption process take?
5. How did you prepare for the adoption?
6. At what age was your child adopted?
7. What difficulties did you encounter with your child during the first few months in this country?
8. What kind of personality does your child have?
9. Where did you find your post adoption support?
10. Does your child see a therapist, psychologist, counselor?
11. Does your child have any health problems? If so, did it effect your adoption?
12. Have you ever discussed your child’s adoption with him/her?
13. What do you think is the hardest thing about adopting?
14. Is there anything about the adoption you would change?
15. Would you adopt again?
16. What are some words of advice you would give to people looking to adopt?