Sign In to Add a Forum Post

NOTE: These forums exist for archival purposes only.
Please post any new, active discussion topics to the most appropriate corresponding adoption group

Sleep problems
Posted: 15 March 2010 12:23 AM   Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  2
Rank

Inasmuch as there are no posts here, I will draft this query and find another place to post, as well.

We brought our baby girl (20 mos at the time), Emma home from Ethiopia in June of 2009.  She turned 2 at the end of September.  She has 2 older brothers, Sam, age 3 and Frankie, age 5.  Emma is adapting so well in nearly all aspects of life in Colorado.  She has assimilated so well and we are so thankful.

The issue - Emma wakes up after naps or in the middle of the night in an absolute panic as she realizes that she is alone.

My wife, Kelly, and I take turns sleeping on a blow up mattress in her room.  One of us is always on hand to calm her if she freaks out during the night.  Typically, now 9 months at her new home, she wakes 1-3 times/night, usually falling right back to sleep once she hears a voice.  Usually, only 1 time a night is associated with her actually “waking up” and panicking.  The others are quelled by our voice with little more than a whimper.

The “panic” cry is notably different from the other types of crying which she has in the arsenal.  So, it causes us concern since we are aware of the caution recommended regarding letting your adopted babies “cry it out” like we might our bio babies.

Has anyone had any success involving methods for facilitating the process of getting your adopted toddler to be comfortable in her own crib/bedroom.

Posted: 30 May 2010 03:23 AM   Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  1
Rank

Good question!  We adopted our daughter from China at 10 months, and we had exactly the same problem.
She would scream a scream that was unbelievable, whenever we tried to put her to bed, alone in her crib.  It just
never worked…, so she would sleep in her playpen with someone around, eventually graduating to our bed.
Over the years…she is 10 now, I have read a lot about international adoption, and I have learned that the children
that come from an orphanges, are very used to being around other children, lots of other children 24-7, and can
become TERRIFIED when left alone.  Our daughter was almost a year old when we adopted her from a orphanage,
and now has become clear to me what had been in her mind in the early years.  And thank god because I
don’t know about you, but we always felt a bit guilty about our reaction to her tears and screams…“allowing her
to sleep in the room with us..giving in”.  And the more attention you give her the more she’s able to attach, and
love.    Hope that helps! grin

Posted: 01 June 2010 04:04 AM   Ignore ]  
Rank

We had similar issues with our daughter, adopted at 14 months from china. the first four months were fine, then all hell would break loose at bedtime. she would panic when i would try to put her in her crib, but she would sleep in it at nap time. something seemed to go off in her mind at nighttime and it would literally take up to 3 hours of hysterical sobbing where not even me holding her could calm her. many nights i took her outside to the swing to calm her. once she could talk, she would repeatedly ask where everyone in the family was. so i figured it was anxiety that maybe we were going to leave her. we let her go to sleep in our bed, then my husband would carry her to her crib after she was asleep. we did this until she was almost three—then she decided she would go to sleep in her room, but wanted to sleep on the floor. A Mickey Mouse sleeping bag did the trick—she slept in that in her own room for a couple of months, then eventually in her bed.

jen

Posted: 27 December 2010 04:09 AM   Ignore ]  
Rank

The best thing to do is consult a doctor or pediatricial. They know best what should you do. There are so many disorder that are happening to kids today. There are already drugs and medications that might help treat disorders like behavioral disorder. Such disorder can be treated through medicational drugs and wilderness therapy. Wilderness therapy are done naturally. There are wilderness programs that are being offered in those wilderness schools and camps. You should see a doctor for you to get advices on what to do.