Sign In to Add a Forum Post

NOTE: These forums exist for archival purposes only.
Please post any new, active discussion topics to the most appropriate corresponding adoption group

Homestudy and financially stable questions
Posted: 24 January 2010 02:07 AM   Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  2
Rank

Hi I am getting ready for the adoption process getting my home fixed up etc. I am wondering what the homestudies were like and what the system thinks financially stable is? I also homeschool my 2 sons and was wondering if this affected anyone else’s chances of adopting?  I am looking forward to learning and connecting with others going through this process.

Posted: 25 January 2010 06:00 AM   Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  4
Rank

IF you are fostering to adopt, the first thing that comes to mind is that counties do not allow homeschooling of foster children. They must be enrolled in public education.(at least in ohio) But once adopted they are yours. You can make all decions concerning thier health, education, ect.

And as far as financial stabilty in goes, the only thing is you must be able to prove that you make enough money to pay all your own bills. The homestudy for a public agency doesn’t ask anything specific about providing for the adopted child at a certain level. They do ask for proof of income and a copy of current bills.

hope this helps

Posted: 26 January 2010 05:22 AM   Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  7
Rank

I think what MandyMichelle said is pretty standard.  We have friends in Michigan that homeschool their children (both bio and adopted) and they are active foster parents as well.  They currently have 3 foster children with them, at least one of which is on track for adoption. 

I would add though that I can see this depending some on your social worker and the organization through which you foster.  This is purely speculation, but I would guess that a private agency that contracts with the state’s foster system is going to be more favorable to this type of situation.  You may get a little more hassle if you foster directly with the Dept. of Human Services, or whatever the state agency is in your state, and have to work with their social workers who may feel they have more authority than they actually/legally do.

Rhonda
Lansing Adoptive Families Examiner
http://www.examiner.com/x-33152-Lansing-Adoptive-Families-Examiner

Posted: 09 February 2010 10:55 PM   Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  2
Rank

Thanks for all the great info, it gives me new hope. I will definitely go through an agency.

‹‹ The wait      NH foster family needed ››