Sign In to Add a Forum Post

NOTE: These forums exist for archival purposes only.
Please post any new, active discussion topics to the most appropriate corresponding adoption group

Addressing Racism
Posted: 25 November 2009 08:53 PM   Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  30
Rank

In my blog post “Being There,” I tackle the first, awkward conversations about racism and bigotry with my internationally adopted children. Have you and/or your kids encountered racially motivated uneasiness or outright disdain from strangers? If so, how have you explained it or worked through it with your children?

Sharon Van Epps

http://www.sharonvanepps.com

http://www.whateverthingsaretrue.com

Posted: 25 November 2009 11:14 PM   Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  2
Rank

Thank you for beginning this topic in your post on this forum. I have become rather consumed with the topic as of late, and feel an incredible shift in how I see witness and respond to the world as a result.  As the mother of a AA son adopted at birth, and a biracial biological son, I feel that my job as a white mother is one of constant surveillance, education, adaptation, and confrontation. I am so glad that you offer your audience in the blog an example of an event that you met the discomfort head on, and waded through it. Talking about race can be frightening to many adoptive parents who are not of color. It is hard to be in a position where we may not know what to say. But of course it is our job. We would not avoid explaining that you don’t ice skate on thin ice, just because we have never fallen through before. It is never too early to open a dialogue with our children as long as it is developmentally appropriate.

My son Sam who is almost 5 came home from school recently, obviously on edge. Of course asking him what was up is never the way in. Later on while playing soccer in the playroom he asks me; “Do I look like a brownie to you?” The ball slams against the wall just missing my head. This is a loaded question as his skin color is a cocoa brown, and he loves to tell me that he needs more chocolate syrup on his ice cream to “keep his color up” an expression he learned from his Haitian babysitter. I get close to him, and tell him no, he looks like a beautiful and very talented soccer star named Sam. “Then why did George tell me at school that I was the same color as the crumpled up brownie he was eating at lunch?”

These moments make me want to flee, because I am afraid of saying the wrong thing. But, saying nothing, and not stepping inside that five year old’s body is much more frightening for him then it is for me to do the work necessary to answer the question. I was armed with advice from the biracial family therapist I see once a month, and lots of common sense.

“George said something to you that hurt your feelings, because he didn’t know any better. George loves you, (this is true) and when he looks at your beautiful brown skin, and his creamy peachy skin he might wonder how your skin got to be your color, and how his didn’t.”

“How come it is browner then his?”

At this point we talked about melatonin, and Sam’s African descent. We also talk about how there are people who want to learn new things, and people who say things out of ignorance until they learn the truth. And, we talk about the people who are ignorant, and do not choose to learn anything other then the truth they know.

I could go on.

What do I do then? I follow up with more books to his preschool-like “The Color of Us”, and “Shades of People” (the first is on the Adoptive Families book list, and the latter is reviewed on my blog) and meet with the teacher to discuss how they can handle these conversations at school when they hear them.

Furthermore I am ALWAYS modeling for my children when something appears in front of us that seems to be presenting a view of the world that is not favorable to people of African descent—like a picture book where all the characters are white. I also go out of my way to notice when the world appears right like a soccer video where as many people of color as creamy skinned people are illustrating their phenomenal skills; “Sam did you notice how many brown skinned boys are playing on this team? What does that tell you?”

“That I am going to crush you the next time we play!”

And he did.

It is always so good to write and think about this topic. I have a blog devoted to race and parenting which can be found on my AFC profile.  I look forward to reading other people’s responses to this thread. It is in my opinion our life’s work.

Posted: 26 November 2009 01:15 AM   Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  30
Rank

Thanks so much for taking time to read and post. I’ve checked out your blog—it’s great! My kids have also been called “brownie” by classmates, unfortunately…it seems to be a common comment for kids to make to one another. Thanks for sharing your experience as well.

Sharon Van Epps

http://www.sharonvanepps.com

http://www.whateverthingsaretrue.com

Posted: 08 January 2010 06:51 AM   Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  15
Rank

My son is black and I know he will have to face racism and hurtful comments and false beliefs about his skin color.  I hope I can give him the tools he will need to maintain his self esteem and be proud of who he is.  Unfortunately when I worked with children in schools racism was an ongoing issue.  Either a child was called names by other black children for being too dark or a child was not black enough.  Then there were children who were lonely because neither the black children or the white children wanted to play with the biracial kids.  It broke my heart to watch the internal racism and struggles going on.  Many African-American children thought they were ugly and confided to me about their thoughts and feelings about their skin color.  I also had teachers who would come up to me and confide that the problem with schools these days is “all these black children.”  I encountered many forms of racism before my son was even born and what I know for sure is we will encounter them again. 

Even when while waiting to be matched we would get phone calls saying, “Oh this one has light skin color.”  As if the lighter was somehow better or more superior.  It was considered more in demand. 

One thing I know for sure is I will assist my family in the best way I know how to recognize and respond to racist situations.

Posted: 09 January 2010 12:47 AM   Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  31
Rank

My son is still a baby, and very few people find negative things to say about a baby. Or feel threatened by a baby, for that matter. But of course someday my son will be older, and we will come across people who are negative or threatened. Reading the experiences of other mothers here is very helpful as I prepare for the future.

Posted: 01 February 2010 03:27 PM   Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  9
Rank

Would you believe that we get just the opposite here? People are always trying to love on our little ones, touch them, tell us how beautiful they are, etc. It infuriates me! I remember when my oldest (we have 5 through adoption) was a baby a hairdresser pulled me aside and told me, “When I was little people used to touch me, want to feel my skin, or my hair, and I HATED it! As I grew I would shy away from people’s hands, to this day I can’t shake someone’s hand without wondering if it is because they want to feel if my skin feels the same as theirs.”
I took that to heart. I do not let others put their hands on my kids, even the babes, I have quick ninja skills and am not afraid to offend and will push hands away. My oldest loves the attention, she is 4 and will talk to any and everyone about anything she likes. I am still quick to make sure no hands are darting towards her head or cheek.

http://lbym.lilypie.com/Qml6m8.pnghttp://lb5m.lilypie.com/hfT3m7.png