Photo Contests

Kid and Pets Photo Contest
Adoptive Families 2020 Kids and Pets Photo Contest
Share your snapshots of your children posing with the family pet!

Summer Memories Photo Contest
2019 Summer Memories Photo Contest Winners
Meet the winner, Apollo, and the finalists.

Mommy Moments Photo Contest
2019 Mommy Moments Photo Contest Winners
Meet the winners, Christiana, Callie, and their mom, and the finalists.

Daddy Moments Photo Contest
2019 Daddy Moments Photo Contest Winners
Meet the winners, Christopher and his dad, and the finalists.

Kids and Pets Photo Contest
2019 Kids and Pets Fun Photo Contest Winners
Meet the winner, Kathryn, and her dog, Buddy, and the finalists.

Adoption Blog: Talk to AF

Contest: Where Were You When You Got “The Call”?

adoption memories contest - AdoptiveFamiliesCircleTHIS CONTEST IS NOW CLOSED. Thank you to everyone who shared a family memory for a chance to win a "Roots of Love" pendant.

Congratulations to the winner, AFC member Jaylene. Here's the memory she shared:
"I was a high school choir teacher, and got 'the call' during a rehearsal. I announced my news and had 100 high school kids come crowd around me, jumping up and down and giving me hugs. It was the best feeling in the world! Two days later, we brought home our beautiful little girl."

It's a moment that no adoptive parent ever forgets -- learning that a birth mother has selected you or that a referral is on the way, and that parenthood, finally, is on the horizon. Where were you and what were you doing when you got "The Call"? What was your immediate reaction?

Share one of your family's cherished memories to be entered in a random drawing for the chance to win a "Roots of Love" small silver pendant from Twenty Birds ($60 retail value; pictured at left). To enter, add a comment to this blog post. Limit one comment per person. Contest closes June 11, 2012. See below for full rules.

Rules: No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited. Subject to all laws. All entrants must register a valid e-mail address with AdoptiveFamiliesCircle (see Terms and Conditions). Giveaway begins at 11 a.m. EDT on May 14, 2012, and ends at midnight EDT on June 11, 2012. Limit: one (1) entry per person. Approximate value of the prize, one "Roots of Love" small silver pendant, is $60. Odds of winning are based on the number of eligible entries received. Sweepstakes sponsor: New Hope Media, LLC, 39 W. 37th St., 15th Floor, New York, NY, 10018.

Related Posts on AdoptiveFamiliesCircle


We are still anxiously and prayerfully waiting….but a baby grows in my heart. <3

By Lute on Wednesday, May 16, 2012 at 12:05 am.

I was watching our neighbor and playing a card game. I was feeling down that day and just wanted to be matched. I texted my husband who was on the golf course, “I feel sad today and want to be matched.” Twenty minutes later our agency called to tell us we were matched! I called my husband who did not answer his phone. So I called the person he was golfing with. All I could say was I need to talk to Phil. When he got on the phone I told him everything. I could hear the other guy cheering. They celerbrated on the 9th hole. I then told the girl I was watching. She smiled and said she new because I was acting crazy. I broke down in tears and the young girl decided to draw the baby a picture. I then called my parents and sister. Latrr that night we sat in front of the computer to review out match. Its amazing how things work out and there truely is a special matc

By Ashley on Wednesday, May 16, 2012 at 2:44 am.

Wow…our call actually came from my mother (in the world of kinship adoption anything goes for “first contact”....... my mom called to read a letter that one of my cousins had written to me from prision….. mom really didn’t know what she was about to read to me but since I was actually doing chemotherapy when she called I needed a distraction so told her to open the letter and read it (I thought maybe he wanted me to drive granny to see him or needed some mo dy out on his accounts)........... BOY WAS I WRONG ....... in the letter he asked my husband and I to adopt his and his wife’s infant son. The baby was already placed in foster care…....I was stunned and speechless… I just said I was doing chemotherpy while this was going on…...obviously we can have children of our own because of my health…...never thought we could adopt because of my health…....I never considered a family memember giving me this opportunity ...... called cps the next day it was oct 20 2011….. they placed my son in my arms Nov 11 2011 and we did transitional placements with us and his foster parents until Dec 16 2011… he is ours forever… cousin and his beautiful wife have given us a gift that there are no words to describe….....and the best part our little man actually looks a lot like me…..

By on Wednesday, May 16, 2012 at 5:31 am.

It was two days after Thanksgiving 2009… The agency called to say they had a two day old baby for me…. I jumped in the car to pick her up and bring her home.. when we left the hospital the nurses hugged me and wished me luck.. no one was sure if this little Blessing would make it.. she had a long list of worries and what ifs. She was 5 pounds, skin and bones. She was perfect! One week later I got the call again “we have a two day old baby for you” “No, I already have her” I said, “we have another one for you!” They said. So I jumped in the car to pick up Blessings sister, Joy. She was 9 pounds, healthy and perfect.
The girls needed each other and today Blessing and Joy complete each other. I couldn’t be more lucky and I will never for get that wonderfull week that sent me from being a single person to a family of three.

By nanetteb on Wednesday, May 16, 2012 at 5:40 am.

I was working on the computer around 7 o’clock on a Thursday night. The phone rang. I looked at the phone number and didn’t recognize it, so I let it go to voicemail. I checked the message afterward, and it was a social worker from our adoption agency asking me to call her back. We had just signed on with them three days earlier, so I figured it was a welcome and “do you have any questions” type of a call. When I called her back, her first words were “Congratulations, you’ve been matched!” I was literally speechless. My husband was out running errands so I took the information and told her I’d call her back the following morning to let her know if we wanted to proceed. I was completely shocked - I had never expected that we would be chosen so soon! When my husband came home and I told him, it finally sank in and we both started to cry tears of joy. That was February 23rd and our son was born April 23rd. Best thing to ever happen to us! He is the joy of our lives and such a blessing!

By suzyleigh on Wednesday, May 16, 2012 at 7:36 am.

The day I found out I was getting my kids was April 24.  However, the story actually starts a few days before.  Our caseworker was doing a routine hi-how-ya-doin visit at our house.  She let slip that there was going to be a sibling group ready for adoption soon and all the caseworkers in the area were submitting their prospective adoptive families.  There was a girl and a boy, ages 3 and 1.  Before I could even process that information, she quickly dashed all hope, saying “I don’t know why I even told you that.  There are many parents who have waited much longer than you.  You won’t get them.” 
  I put it out of my mind and went back to daily life.  After all, we were used to disappointment by then.  We had missed several chances at getting a child (or four) because someone else spoke up first. 
  April 24, 6:20 a.m.  I am driving to work in the dark.  As usual, my mind is racing about the childless state of my life.  Crossing a bridge I’ve crossed hundreds of times, I see a new billboard.  It says “The Wait is Over!”  REALLY!
  I don’t usually believe in signs and omens, but years of infertility and waiting had me a little superstitious, looking for answers of whether I would ever be a mom. 
  I narrowly avoided hitting someone as I stared at the sign.  With my heart beating quickly, I went on to work.  A day in a hospital laboratory is very demanding, and I put the sign and all other thoughts on the back burner as I ran the blood tests that determined what kind of day the patients were going to have.  It’s a job I took very seriously, and always kept the patients in the top layer of my thoughts.  It was a one-man (woman) stat lab for the emergency department.  An ER is either famine or drought, so when the work lulled I began thinking and hoping again.  With no co-workers to talk to and share my thoughts, they stayed bottled up inside, giving me a funny feeling in my stomach that I fought to keep down.  “Don’t be stupid. She said we won’t get those kids.”
  About midday my husband called saying our caseworker wanted to come by and have us sign something she had forgotten.  She would go pick him up at work and swing by the hospital so we could both sign.  My stomach turned again.  It felt like it was actually rubbing against my heart.  Maybe we actually were getting our kids. “Quit being stupid”, I told myself.  “You’re setting yourself up for disappointment”. 
  By the time my husband and the caseworker arrived, close to my quitting time in the afternoon, I had thoroughly berated myself, beat hope into submission, and raised my defensive walls once again. 
  Then my husband walked into the stat lab, holding two balloons and wearing the most shocked and amazed expression I’ve ever seen on him.  One balloon said “It’s a Boy!”, the other “It’s a Girl!”  Our caseworker followed with a gift bag. My hands shook, my heart was pounding.  What did I say?  “Hooray!?”  Nope.  I was so afraid to believe it, my first reaction was a slightly defensive “What is THAT?” Our caseworker explained that there really were two children waiting for us.  “What can go wrong?”  I asked.  Those walls were pretty high.  “The only thing that can prevent you from adopting these children is if you decide not to”, she assured me.  I finally began to accept the truth.  We were going to be parents to a three-year old girl, and a one-year old boy.  I called the main lab and told them my relief for the second shift needed to get down there right away!  I couldn’t concentrate on my job anymore.  I ran to the main lab once my co-worker arrived and told everyone who would listen.  I was going to be a MOM!  I was dizzy and had tunnel vision.  Its a good thing my shift was nearly over.
  As soon as I left work, we called my mom.  She started to cry and hyperventilate.  She had to sit down on a bench in a shopping mall.  Everyone was giving her strange looks, this sobbing older lady with my dad fluttering around her, saying “What happened, what happened!” 
  It’s been three years since then.  Many things, good and bad have happened.  It has been extremely rough adopting two toddlers, both of which are very strong-willed, and the journey is nowhere near over.  We have had some great supporters, and many negative and stupid things said to us about adoption.  But that day is untouched in memory by any hardship or self-doubt.  It is forever a day of pure joy, love, and thankfulness.

By housefrau on Wednesday, May 16, 2012 at 9:02 am.

You can read all about it here:

It’s actually the first time my wife gave blogging a shot. smile

By Travis Sloat on Wednesday, May 16, 2012 at 5:21 pm.

My “Call” actually came from my husband.  I had been asleep for a few hours after working an exhausting midnight shift.  When my phone rang, I saw on the caller ID that it was our social worker.  I chose not to answer because I was afraid it was another rejection, and seeing how I was still getting over the disappointment of not being chosen by another birthmother a few weeks prior, I was just too tired to deal with it at that time.

A few minutes later my husband called.  The social worker couldn’t get a hold of me so she called him. He was so excited I could barely understand him.  At first I was numb, then I sat and just cried.  As an older couple I had many doubts about being chosen by a birthmother.  Our lives were about to change!  Needless to say, I never did not get back to sleep that day!  smile

By ysharona on Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 9:13 am.

I received the call from our agency on a Friday afternoon in November while I was at work.  I could hardly believe what the counselor was saying.  We had been selected by a birthmom!  I immediately called my husband to let him know.  I was ecstatic.  Actually, I didn’t know what to do with myself, so I started pacing around the office.  A few of my coworkers noticed and we all had a little celebration together.  After I composed myself, I called the agency back and we set up our first meeting the next week.  Our son was born just 6 weeks later.  We could not be more blessed!

By kjfischer on Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 6:20 pm.

All of these posts have brought tears to my eyes!  We were matched on May 10, 2011.  I got the call at work.  They said there was a little girl (we had signed up for a boy), did we want to look at the information about her?  Well, of course!  My husband and I were so very excited.  We had been waiting for 2 years.  We got her information and picture on the 18th of May 2011.  We accepted her a few days later and then we made 3 trips to Russia to get our little girl.  She has been home now for just over 5 months.  We are the luckiest family in the whole world.  We said “boy,” but GOD said “girl”... God knows what was best for all of us.
What a special day!  It will never be forgotten.

By Tamra on Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 10:58 pm.
<< Older comments   Newer comments >>

Post a Comment


Commenting is available to registered members only. Please log in or create an account.

Meet the Author

AFC Editors

AFC Editors

New York

View Profile »


Find an Adoption Agency

Find an Adoption Attorney or Agency

Search the full directory ►

Recent Adoption Blog Comments